Important safety information
NovoPen® Echo® and NovoPen® 5 are used for insulin treatment by people with diabetes. From our records we believe that you may use either a NovoPen Echo or a NovoPen 5. If you are in possession of either of these products please read the following information and take the necessary action outlined below in the attached pdf document.
Novo Nordisk A/S has detected that the insulin cartridge holder used in a number of NovoPen® Echo® and NovoPen® 5 batches may crack or break if exposed to certain chemicals in some household products, such as cleaning agents, sunscreen and food grease.
Novo Nordisk urges people using a NovoPen® Echo® and/or NovoPen® 5 from one of the affected batches to contact Novo Nordisk in order to replace the cartridge holder, which is just one component of the pens, as some could be damaged. Please check your device batch number against the list that is available below:
If you are in possession of a NovoPen® Echo® and/or a NovoPen® 5 with a batch number which is not mentioned in the attached information there is no reason for concern and you can be confident that the device will work as intended.
If you are using a NovoPen® Echo® and/or NovoPen® 5 with one of the affected batch numbers:
- Do not stop treatment without consulting your doctor.
- Be attentive to your blood sugar levels by checking them regularly and looking for symptoms of hyperglycaemia. If you note these symptoms, measure your blood sugar levels as instructed by your health care provider and take appropriate action.
- In the event that you experience symptoms of too high blood sugar involving this product, contact your doctor for advice.
- To request a replacement cartridge holder, register your contact details (name, address, phone number, email and number of affected cartridge holders) either at the local Novo Nordisk website www.novonordisk.co.uk or contact the local Novo Nordisk Customer Care line on 0845 600 5055. Novo Nordisk will extend opening hours of the Customer Care line to include weekends to support patients. Opening hours will be 8am-8pm Mon-Fri and 8am-4pm Sat-Sun.
- You will receive an unaffected cartridge holder for your NovoPen® Echo® and/or NovoPen® 5 within 7 days. Upon receipt, you should attach the new cartridge holder and use as stated in Instructions for Use.
- Report any adverse events or complaints (including a damaged cartridge holder) to Novo Nordisk’s Customer Care line on 0845 600 5055.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Novo Nordisk’s Customer Care line on 0845 600 5055. Opening hours will be 8am-8pm Mon-Fri and 8am-4pm Sat-Sun.
- Please only contact the surgery if you are unable to speak to the Novo Nordisk’s Customer Care line
The safety of patients is of utmost importance for Novo Nordisk. They strive to produce and distribute the highest quality products for your use. They sincerely apologise for this unfortunate situation and the concerns and inconvenience it may cause.